Inspired by Carlo Cao's Vegan Spinach Pie recipe
This delicious & easy spinach pie comes together in no time, and is a great way to use up that bag of spinach you've forgotten in your freezer.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
- 1 block of Classic Greek-Style cashew cheese
- 700 g of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil or butter (divided in two)
- 2 tbsp milk or cream of your choice
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 in cake pan
- Preheat oven to 370 F
- Heat 1/2 of your oil or butter in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add onion and sauté until it starts browning a little bit (approximately 10 minutes.) Then add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add spinach, salt pepper, nutmeg and cream. Mix well. Taste and add more salt if needed (the puff pastry isn't salty, so you might want to add a bit more than you think you need). Set aside.
- Heat the other half of the oil or butter in a frying pan and add the breadcrumbs. Fry while stirring often until dark golden.
- Layer your cake pan with parchment paper and cover the bottom and the sides with one sheet of puff pastry. You might need to roll it out a bit to make it bigger and thinner.
- Layer the ingredients in the pan in the following order: Breadcrumbs, Spinach mixture, Classic Greek-Style cheese. Top with the second puff pastry sheet.
- Pinch the edges together. Brush the top of the pie with a bit of cream or an egg wash, sprinkle with some dried herbs if you have them on hand and pop it in the oven!
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
- It's perfect served with a cooling dollop of our Garlic Tzatziki.