Leek And Zucchini Tart
This is a leek appreciation recipe. Leeks are similar to onions, but sweeter, with a more delicate flavour. They are a good source of vitamin A and they are in season for a long time. Here is what you will need for this leek and zucchini tart:
You can either buy puff pastry or use this vegan puff pastry recipe!
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 3 medium leeks
- 1 tbsp of oil of your choice for cooking leeks
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 tub of Spread’em Chives & Garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Using a knife, lightly score pastry to create an 1 inch wide outer crust. Be careful to not cut all the way through. Bake in the preheated oven for 10–12 minutes, or until the pastry has puffed up and golden brown. Once the puff pastry is cooked, remove from the oven and let it cool a bit. Then gently push down the centre of the pastry, leaving you with a little ‘collar’ around the edge.
- Leeks grow in sandy soil so they need a good rinse before you can use them. You can take a peek at this helpful video from a French specialist on how to clean leeks . Chop the rinsed leeks and cook in oil until they are soft. Season with salt and pepper. You can go wild here – you can add mushrooms or spinach or really anything you like.
- Spread the pastry with Chives & Garlic cream cheeze leaving the puffed up ‘collar’ untouched. You can mix the cheeze with a bit of water to make it easier to spread around.
- Top with the leek mixture.
- Layer zucchini slices on top and cook it for another 8-10 minutes.
- After it’s cooked let it cool slightly and enjoy!