Make these bright colourful peppers a part of your weekly line-up. Here’s what you’ll need.
3 in bell peppers, cut half lengthwise, (any colour will do)
3/4 cup uncooked rice, (we used white)
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon quality plant oil
1/2 cup large red onion, finely chopped (about 2.5 chopped onion)
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into ¼” – ½” cubes (about half a small butternut squash)
2 tablespoons vegetable broth
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
1 cup drained/ rinsed cooked chickpeas
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F degrees.
2. Prepare your rice as it states on the package. We used a 2:1 ratio of water to rice, boil the water and let the rice simmer for 35 – 45 minutes.
3. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
4. Add chopped butternut squash and cabbage, stir to coat with oil, cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the cover and add the 2 tablespoons of stock. Replace the cover, cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Add the red onion, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, fennel seeds and salt. Stir and sauté an additional 8 minutes until butternut squash is soft and all the water has evaporated.
6. When rice is finished cooking, add the rice and chickpeas to the skillet with the butternut squash. Stir well and set aside.
7. Cut the bell peppers lengthwise, remove their insides and place cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
8. Remove peppers from the oven, allow them to cool and then flip them over (cut-side up) and stuff them with the stuffing, loading them up to the max (you may have a little leftover butternut squash stuffing).
9. Top with crumbles of our Classic feta style cashew cheeze.
10. Bake the stuffed peppers for 7 minutes then remove and serve!