Balsamic Tomato Orzo Dish
Balsamic Tomato Orzo Bake with Classic Greek-Style Cashew Cheese
- 240 g orzo, uncooked
- 1/2 block of Classic Greek-Style Cashew Cheese
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 minced, 1 left whole
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 250 ml stock
- a splash of red wine vinegar
- 85 g panko
- 60 g pitted kalamata olives
- 1 lime or lemon zest
- 1 sprig of rosemary or other herb of your choice
- Fresh herbs and/or arugula, finely chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat
- Fry the onion stirring often
- Add the diced tomato and garlic, season with oregano, chili peppers, salt and black pepper
- Add tomato paste and a splash of vinegar, stir for a bit until it's all incorporated
- Add orzo, a tin of crushed tomatoes and the stock, mix well.
- Turn the heat to low, put the lid on the skillet and leave to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the orzo doesn't stick to the bottom.
- To make the topping, process olives, panko, rosemary, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 clove of garlic and zest of 1 lemon or lime until you are left with a nice crumbly paste.
- Spread it onto a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes until it's dry and crispy
- When the orzo has softened, top it with the olive panko coat, pieces of Classic Greek-Style cashew cheese and garnish with the fresh herbs and/or arugula.
- Serve hot and enjoy!